They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and for truck drivers who are on the road for days and weeks at a time, the saying plays a huge part in their lives. Although relationships do tend to suffer with so much time spent away from home, there are things you as a truck driver can do to show you are thinking about your loved ones while you’re away from home. Try these relationship tips to keep your love life on track.
- Show your virtual love. By now you’re used to communicating on the phone throughout the week, but it’s time to step it up a notch and start talking face to face. Skype and FaceTime are easy to download and use and gives you the option to video chat or text chat.Even brief chats and text throughout the day show your partner that you are thinking of them. A silly text about what’s happening in your world can alleviate the pressure to download your whole day at one time. Make sure you give time to your partner to let them tell you about their day as well. If it’s important for them to talk about, it should be important to you to listen.
- Spoil them with flowers. You don’t have to send them flowers every week, but a dozen roses or tulips can go a long way in telling someone you love them. Most flower companies also offer different assortments such as edible arrangements, teddy bears with candy, etc. which give you the option to show your love more than once.
- Send a love letter or package. Whether it’s a postcard or a handwritten note, a letter can go a long way. It may seem like a thing of the past, but it’s a sweet gesture to know you’re thinking of them. Just try to avoid the cliché “roses are red, violets are blue.”Another great way to show your love is to collect random things while you’re on the road and make them a care package. This is the perfect opportunity to start a little collection for your partner. Maybe send them a koozie or keychain from every gas station you go to or if you want to limit it, every state. This is a great way to show them you’re thinking of them while you’re away.
- Give details about your life. It’s easy to outline a general picture of your week, but what about going into more detail. Let your loved one get a visual picture of your day-to-day life by sending them pictures of the scenery around you, the gas stations you stop at and what you look like that day! Regale your partner with stories of the people you meet, the route you’re taking and the bizarre things you see on the road. Share your experiences so that your partner feels more connected to your world.
- Plan a secret date. When you finally arrive home it’s important that both halves of the relationship make time for a warm welcome and some QT to catch up. Surprise your significant other with a planned out date while you’re home. Go to a kid-free dinner, take a walk around town, go to a movie, do something you both enjoy. Reconnect and recharge your relationship; leave work in the truck and be present at home.
Now that we’ve got your creative juices flowing with romantic ideas, go spice up your relationship! Being a truck driver doesn’t have to be a total bummer for your love life. Just make sure your loved one knows that they’re in your head and in your heart – even when you’re miles apart.